Location: Didcot, Oxfordshire | Salary: £39-44K + 30 days holiday + bank holidays + generous pension
Our scientists, technologists, engineers, and support services explore the unknown and turn what they find into work that changes the world. Whether it’s sending probes into space or finding new ways to treat cancer, everyone here plays a vital role in making a positive difference to society.
Come and discover how much you can achieve when you’re surrounded by world-leading experts, encouraged to constantly learn and empowered to explore your curiosity.
We wish to recruit a site-based Safety, Health & Environment (SHE) specialist with a strong technical background to complement our present expertise in hazards typical of science laboratories and workshops.
- Provide professional SHE advice and guidance to management, employees, tenants, and science facility users and support them in discharging their responsibility for the implementation of the SHE Management System.
- Support development of documented SHE Codes based upon experience of internal application, audit findings, external best practice, and legislative changes identified through horizon scanning.
- Manage and develop the provision of effective, efficient and professional SHE services to site-based staff, contractors, tenants, visitors and users.
- Ensure that all SHE incidents, including injuries, near misses, fires, environmental and vehicle incidents are reported, investigated appropriately and actions established
- Monitor and audit the effectiveness and efficiency of the SHE Management System, its policies and procedures
- Communicate and liaise closely with the key stakeholders in the Management System, in particular safety and environment committees, trade union Safety Representatives, Departmental Safety Contacts, those appointed to key SHE roles, the HSE and emergency services.
- Prepare and deliver on-line and face-to-face SHE training programmes.
The ideal candidate will hold:
- Demonstrable experience of successful delivery of a SHE Advisory role in the construction, electrical, science, engineering or technology sectors.
- NEBOSH General Certificate and NEBOSH Diploma (or working towards)
- A working knowledge of current and forthcoming changes to UK SHE legislation
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
You will benefit from an excellent work/life balance including 30 days annual leave, 10.5 public and privilege holidays, flexible working hours, a workplace nursery, exceptional average salary pension scheme, social and sporting activities and societies and a subsidised restaurant.