Bristol | £70-75K + 25 days holiday + private health + 6xDiS + discounted travel + EV scheme + benefits
Bryan & Armstrong are delighted to be working exclusively with a large, complex, fast-paced business to recruit a Head of Health and Safety to join their senior leadership team. It’s a great opportunity to take on a newly created Head of Health & Safety role, providing effective operational and strategic support across the business. You will be responsible for ensuring a safe and compliant environment for employees, business partners and customers, instilling a positive health and safety culture whereby everyone is engaged, empowered and accountable, whilst driving continuous improvement.
- Establish a first-class safety culture across the business, including business partner organisations, leading by example and influencing behaviours to deliver our strategic intent.
- Develop and maintain a Safety Management System that supports and measures compliance and the right behaviours; ensuring all systems and procedures are appropriately documented, regularly reviewed and audited, and that our ISO:45001 is maintained.
- Collaborate with the Chief Fire Officer to assure robust fire safety management, reducing fire risk and mitigating the impact of any fire events.
- Devise and implement a comprehensive, tailored Health & Safety awareness and training programme in conjunction with the People team, utilising appropriate media, maintaining up-to-date records and ensuring timely refreshers.
- Actively contribute to the Health, Safety & Sustainability forum, deputising for the Chair as required.
- Chair and lead a cross-functional Health & Safety committee, facilitating the capture of concerns and suggestions from across the site, and consulting with employees and Trade Union representatives on new practices.
- Establish a comprehensive and pragmatic risk assessment programme, creating a library of templates and providing training as required, and ensure all required assessments are accurately completed and maintained up to date (including updates to reflect relevant changes in the workplace).
- Ensure all accidents and incidents are fully reported and thoroughly investigated, providing support and advice as required, and ensure learning outcomes are captured and acted upon.
- Undertake frequent safety inspections and checks, in addition to observing working practices whilst walking “the floor”, engaging with employees to check their knowledge and understanding.
- Establish effective working relationships with business partners and contractors to positively influence third party activities and behaviours.
- Provide monthly reports to the Executive Board on meaningful metrics and remedial actions that support the achievement of Company objectives.
- Keep abreast of industry best practice and legislative changes, identifying and implementing required/ beneficial changes in a timely manner.
- Manage a programme of scheduled and ad hoc testing for substance abuse, in line with Company policy, to assure the safe operation of vehicles and equipment
- Support the maintenance, execution and testing of Emergency and Contingency Plans, ensuring organisational preparedness for any eventuality.
- Procure, manage, and monitor third party suppliers and agencies as appropriate to support service delivery.
We are ideally looking for:
- NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent
- Chartered Membership of IOSH (CMIOSH) or working towards (GradIOSH or CertIOSH)
- Significant experience in an operational environment, ideally a dynamic, 24/7, customer-facing business
- Demonstrable experience with ISO 45001 systems
- Operational leadership and people management skills
- Demonstrable experience of effectively managing third parties and contractors
- Tenacious, resilient and positive nature, with a pragmatic approach to problem solving
Want to find out more? Please contact Steven Bryan email@example.com and I’ll call you back to discuss – all applications will be treated in strict confidence.
Bryan & Armstrong Ltd is a specialist Health & Safety recruiter, supplying Health & Safety professionals on an interim and permanent basis across the following disciplines: Health & Safety, Health, Safety & Environment, SHEQ, CDM, Fire, Environmental, Quality Management and Health, Safety, Environment & Quality Systems.